Redirection describes the act of forwarding one URL to another URL. This guides web visitors to access the information they need if the original web page, or source, is no longer available. Though the idea is simple, many developers don't utilize it, which can directly impact a website's SEO ranking performance.
There are several reasons why redirects are necessary. Including:
● The original URL is broken, meaning that the URL does not link to a valid webpage.
● You've acquired an SSL certificate for your website's security.
● The webpage no longer exists.
● The website is currently going through maintenance, updates, or structure change.
● You switched platforms.
Google acknowledges six types of redirections:
● A permanent server-side redirect shows that a piece of the requested information has moved to another URL. For instance, a 301 redirect lets everyone know that Page A can be accessed in Page B.
● Temporary server-side redirects lead visitors to a new page while ensuring Google keeps the old URL in its results for a more extended time.
● Instant meta refresh redirects: Google considers instant meta refresh redirects as permanent redirects.
● Delayed meta refresh redirects: Google interprets delayed meta refresh redirects as temporary redirects..
● Crypto redirects: This involves adding a link pointing to a new page accompanied by a short explanation, providing Google insight to understand a crypto redirect.
When correctly done, redirects can improve SEO ranking, while doing the opposite could destroy it. Key reminders when setting up SEO redirects include:
Targeting the most relevant version of the URL is preferred.
Redirect to the most relevant alternative to retain relevance.
Do not have multiple simultaneous redirects to avoid confusion; (multiple meaning more than two).
Do an audit of your redirects and clean it up if needed.
A sitemap should not include redirected content.
Link building and redirects are an integral part of maintaining a successful website. With all of this information, you can get started on making redirection work to your advantage!